Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Rollins Parties

I've ended up making a few good friends here in Orlando. Most of them are junior faculty members at Rollins College. Over the weekend, I got invited to a Mardi Gras party that one of them was throwing in Winter Park.
The party was pretty standard and consisted of the usual standing around, nibbling on chips and dip while listening to discussions on faculty meetings, recent conferences, students and all the other stuff I find incredibly boring but I tolerate because most of the time the Rollins folks are creatively wacky. Case in point, V had a brilliant idea to play charades (which I suck at since I'm usually shaking so bad from stage fright that I can't remember what movie I'm supposed to be acting out), and we played for a good couple of hours. Then we listened to some old-school Michael Jackson and discussed various dance moves that he made famous while he was still black and still cool. We also tested out our pop and lock moves while a couple of people bragged about how famous their 'worm' had been in high school, though the results left a lot to be desired and were followed up with some surprised, "gee, I used to be really good at this"...did you? Did you really?
When Thriller came on, we realized how many of the dance moves we still knew (many of us have also seen 13 Going on 30) when our friend Julian called. He just flew in from a conference and wanted to know if we were still going to be there if he drove over. After he hung up, we tested out our Thriller moves and then changed the music to wait for Julian's arrival. After he arrived, the song come up in rotation again and when it did, everyone except Julian stood up and went in to full Thriller MODE! It was AWESOME! Julian didn't know what hit him. Oh, yes he did - a bunch of middle aged goofballs! HAH!
The evening was a great success. Like I said, though they may talk a lot of shop, even so, I just love me some Rollins wackiness!

(This picture is from last halloween)

No comments: