Monday, February 19, 2007

I went to Target today to buy a new scale, and ended up in the greeting card section somehow. I am not a woman who sends out greeting cards for holidays. I didn't send any out this year for Christmas (I did buy one, but never sent it) and since I can never remember anyone's birthday, I'm not known for that either. But I do like cute visually aesthetic things and today the greeting cards caught my eyes. I've been into monkeys lately, ever since my trip to India, and they had a bunch of cute monkey cards that say things like, "I'm thinking about monkeys" and when you open it up it says, "now you are too". That's like, right out of my freaking head, man! So can you blame me when I walked out of there with eight of them? But, boy, was I surprised at how incredibly expensive they were! They were like $2.25 each! What a rip off! Nevertheless, I am now determined to send them to unsuspecting friends. So beware.

One thing I noticed when I got down to writing something on the cards, is that my handwriting sucks. I skip letters all the time. I often write the wrong letter. And my handwriting is shaking and all over the place. I don't think I've seen it this bad since first grade. And that really sucks because in second grade I always won the prize for penmanship - a brand new pencil. My handwriting was always the best in the class - by the end of second grade I had over a dozen pencils. It was the only thing I could do really well. I've treasured that memory my whole life and now I know I no longer deserve those pencils. I am a failure. But really it's the computer's fault. I print very infrequently. Matter of fact, I can't even remember the last time I wrote something down, like an entire paragraph. And so the inside of the cards look like they were written by a first grader. So I hope that when my family and friends get their cards, I hope they appreciate my work, money and effort.

Because it's the last time I'm doing it.

No comments: