Friday, March 09, 2007

There are things I know I know, things I know I don't know, and things I don't even know I don't know....

But the worst is there are things I don't even know that I've forgotten...

And that's where Amazon comes to the rescue.

We love Amazon for a number of reasons: like other sites, it offers many sellers under one roof so you can comparison shop (though I dislike the additional shipping charges which really add up). and let's not forget their customer feedback, which is so pervasive, that even when I'm purchasing from other sites these days, I cross-check Amazon for reviews. And last but not least, if you like a particular book or CD, there's the section entitled "Customers who bought this item also bought..." which has, over the years, revealed a labyrinth of musical discovery, though I have a sneaky suspicion everything leads back to Coldplay, but that's another story.

But the best thing about Amazon is by far one of its least used features: the wish list. Sure, you can stick a book or two in there and your family and friends can find an easy gift, but I've found a better purpose. Whether or not Amazon intended it, it's become an extremely handy cache to offset my increasingly lazy memory.

For example: one list is entitled "Newbies". It includes bands I've just discovered that sound pretty good, but I don't them like enough to want to commit to buying an entire CD. On the other hand, I don't want to forget them either if they came to town, or maybe they'll come out with something else that I'll like enough to buy, so I keep them there.

Then I also have a list called "Fluff" - which is filled with all of the crap novels I'd like to pick up at second-hand stores, borrow from the library or buy at the airport to read when I'm on the road working.

Lastly, I need a list for all the books I encounter in my day to day life that capture my attention for one reason or another. This list is the most important...I can't live without it! Do you know how long I've lived on this planet wishing I could just remember the name of that book I read about by that guy...oh, what was his name - you know the one - the one with the guy who has that amazing thing happen to him, and, you know! Yeah. It sucks! So now, whenever I read something and I think I might want to read it or I need to remember it, I just pop over to amazon, and throw the book in my wish list.

And if it's there, I can relax, knowing that someone else is storing part of my memory for me. Currently that list is over seven pages long and growing.

And for movies....I do the same thing - but with Netflix. It's the part of my brain that stores all the hundreds of movies I want to watch. Currently there are only 448 films in my queue, but I haven't been keeping up with it lately. It's about time to refresh my list.

So here's a tip for today. If you've got a bad memory like me, and you read a lot or you like lists - try utilizing Amazon and Netflix. And when you try to find the name of that author who wrote that book about the juggling monkey - and you remember his name, you'll have me to thank!

There is one secret though - you have to have enough short term memory to store the name of the book till you can go to Amazon's site, put the book into the search box, and then add it to your wish list! Good luck!

No comments: