Thursday, January 11, 2007

Delhi Belly and All things A 'Goan

Well kids, night has fallen on my last day in India. As I say farwell to my 35th year I also bid the strange and exotic land of Hindustan goodbye. Mostly I am sad to leave Goa, as I could have spent quite a bit more time there. In the end, my trip to Goa was too short, and in fact, we ended up only visiting one beach, and that for only an hour or so. I've never been to any beach like it though - there was loud trance music coming from the bar shown in the picture - people were dancing as if it was midnight in Paris and didn't seem to care - I was trying to capture a shot of one particularly interesting guy. He was about 55 with a big bloated beer belly and the tiniest white thong swimsuit you'd ever seen. There were lots of interesting exotic people to people watch there.
Yesterday after seeing Vidhu safely off, Rohit and I acquainted ourselves further with the moped by driving aimlessly around Anjuna for the better part of the day. We wanted to find a good masseuse to try the traditional Indian style of ayurvedic massage, but Rohit wanted to find a women to apply his and so we drove around aimlessly checking out the oh at least 20 massage centers. That took up a good part of the day, since none of the women seemed to want to massage a guy, so we finally gave up and visited a 'Western' style center (the only one in town) which is called appropriately "Zanadu Day Spa" and is owned by an American woman with long flowing dreadlocks and a strange Australian accent. With a name like Zanadu, I couldn't resist. And also by that time I had started to feel some trepidation based in part with my previous experience of having had a massage in India that was part relaxing touch, part strange groping that would have been awkward if I wasn't so out of commission with my Delhi Belly.
After our massages, Rohit and I went to the German Bakery, a famous spot in Anjuna known for it's banana nut pancakes, shown above. I couldn't resist having them spread chocolate syrup all over those puppies, though I felt guilty enough that I also ordered a shot of wheat grass. So healthy! The great thing about this bakery besides it's ambiance and great food is that they also have wireless connection for your computer, so you can lounge all day, drinking real espresso, nibbling on pastries and mango smoothies while you read some of the books they leave out in a multitude of languages, listen to funky trance music and surf the internet. Ah, I love the 21st century!!

No comments: