Friday, September 14, 2007

New Job

Ah, the BBC. Lovely. I started my new gig three weeks ago and so far it's been a crazy, whirlwind experience.

And I'm exhausted.

Starting this job was like getting thrown in the ocean to learn how to swim. I suppose my head will pop up sometime in December and I’ll wonder where the three months went and where I am, exactly.

I was driving to work the other day along Fairfax and wondered whose life I’d taken over. Somehow the move to LA, new apartment, new job, none of it felt like I was in the right life…or movie – It felt more like “Invasion of the Body Snatchers” and I’m cast as Pod Person #497. Anyway, thanks to my work schedule, I haven’t had much time to linger on the disassociation I was feeling.

Los Angeles, for it’s part, welcomed me back the way it always does – without so much as a “hello, how are you”.

And the most enjoyable thing about my new job is I get to prove myself all over again. I’m getting the chance to establish just what a wonderfully funny, witty and humble person I am. God, that is so tiring. Seriously, I feel like I’ve started high school and everyone’s been together in all their classes since eighth grade and I’m the new, geeky kid who doesn’t have any friends. No, no – I mean to sit by myself at this lunch table munching on my PBJ while you guys drive off campus in your convertible to go grab hamburgers.

Sigh. At least the other kids are nice.

By the way, the two pics are Joe and Victoria. We share an office with Katy, Dancing with the Stars ultimate Story Producer. The other picture is of our bungalow aka star wagon aka double wide trailer. I think I might miss this place when I'm gone. Particularly, I'll miss Joe's one-sided conversations with his wife, the Co-EP of the show. They bicker like any married couple but what we hear is only Joe's side...sometimes I find the conversations so amusing, especially when all I hear is "We're going to be ready to show you a cut at noon. Can you bring me a bagel and cream cheese?" They crack me up.

No comments: