Monday, September 24, 2007

LACMA

I had a day off today, one of the last I suppose till December. So to celebrate, I went to LACMA and visited the Japanese exhibit. The Pavilion there houses the museum's collection of Japanese works dating from around 3000 b.c. to the twentieth century. The exhibit has a lot of Buddhist and Shinto related art, plus ceramics and kimono/textile work.

One of my favorite things about the exhibit was the museum's print collectio
n, traditional woodblock prints from the Edo period (1615-1868), the late 18th and 19th centuries and also more recent artwork including post modern pieces. There I discovered this amazing post-modern Japanese artist by the name of Haku Maki. My favorite print of his is this one - I just love it. AND I found it online for only $325.00 and man, wouldn't it look great in my apartment? There's something so simple and evocative about it. It's really hard for me to say exactly why I like it so much.

It's also interesting how in Japanese art, calligraphy is so intrinsically wrapped up in imagery. The Japanese had (have?) a profound love of poetry and incorporated so much of it in their artwork. Gotta love them for that. These ideograms incorporate a duality of meaning in both the use of language to enhance the visual metaphors and the artistic interpretation of form to enhance the language. A great example of mixed media.

No comments: