Monday, December 18, 2006

Arrival

Vidhu and I got off the plane yesterday around midnight and finally collapsed into bed around 3am. It was a pretty uneventful flight; highlights included some slight turbulance, dirty toilets and the rudest flight attendents I've ever encountered. On the upside I slept almost the whole way, which means I missed most of their harrassing. The meals were good and plentiful and I had Vidhu there to entertain me.
We're staying at the Midlands hotel in Santa Cruz (a very fitting place to stay as I was born in Santa Cruz and this Santa Cruz is the first city of my trip in India). Anyway, we slept well, enjoyed the western style toilet (whew, that was a relief) and took a cup shower with hot water (luxurious!) After applying deet, I followed up with a little lip gloss and instantly felt like a human again! Lip gloss fixes everything. That's a fact you can take to the bank, I tell you.

After sleeping for 6 hours or so, we decided to walk someplace and get some breakfast. But stepping out into the street, we got caught up in a wave of commuters, early morning workers heading along in a frenzied pace. We couldn't really cross the street due to the never-ending traffic of cars, who were constantly honking and jostling back and forth in the narrow road, almost taking people out in their maneuvers to get around each other. My first impression of India is that people here are tiny. Small. I'm at least a foot and a half taller than everyone else. The streets are teeming with men, very few women, in fact, out walking around. The men stare at me, which is natural, as I am so obviously beautiful. I mean, sure I'm a Westerner, but I think their gazes are really just proof of my immense physical attraction. Actually, I think the fact that we were standing still in this mad stream of people, made us stand out all the more. And the blank looks on our faces probably didn't help.
So after about 10 minutes of standing there, blankly looking around, we headed back to our hotel and had a scrumptious breakfast (bonus, we didn't realize that breakfast was also included in the cost of our rooms...bonus!) We had yummy coffee that surprisingly enough I think is just instant coffee - but it was improved with a ton of creamy milk and sugar. Vidhu and I were both already feeling a little woozy this morning, but now that we've eaten, I think we're both feeling much better.
So now off to explore!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anne,
Vidhu may have mentioned that we me JUST before you departure at the mac store in Orlando...
I'm si thrilled that you have this blog.
As a child in London, England my best friend was an Indian girl named Afia. Her family regaled me with tales and suggestions ( we dressed up in srais etc!) of India...I've traveled the whole world EXCEPT India now and I think I've continued to postpone it so as not to shatter the dream I've built.
There isa yearing in me to see it but not expose it.
So...I'm thrilled to be "with " via your blog.
I so look forward to reading more and to fidning out mroe about you and your work.
Bon courage as my french pals say!
-Eliza Fernbach
http://www.hecticred.net

Anonymous said...

Anne,
Love that you're keeping a log of your trip. After reading the last entry, I could actually visualize myself standing on the street with you and Vidhu. Too cool!
Where did you get your necklace? Is it new? Love it.
Mom

Anonymous said...

So, for those who have lives unlike me, have fun overseas as Eugene is still as bland as it's always been...except for the damn hippies. Say hi to Apu for me. Or is there not a springfield in India?

Anonymous said...

Anne,
Ok, where is then next chapter? Hope you are having a BLAST!!