Thursday, August 18, 2011

Easy Sourdough Starter

Out of my parent's divorce came one bright ray of sunlight; when my father learned how to make sourdough pancakes and waffles. Many a Sunday I would wake up to anxiously watch as he stirred the mixture from the night before. Sourdough starter can be a fickle thing and so I dreaded the day would come when I would wake up to find the sourdough hadn't risen. It didn't happen often, but every once in awhile my Dad would let that starter sit too long unattended in the fridge and it just wouldn't revive quickly enough for Sunday pancakes. It was always a gamble.

Over the years I've tried once or twice to make my own starter, but without much luck, until I found this site. Within three weeks, I had the most wonderful smelling sourdough and this last weekend, my very first batch of whole wheat sourdough pancakes. They were delicious! There are many great recipes out there for pancakes, waffles and bread so give this starter recipe a shot and let me know what you think!





No comments: